Wednesday, October 5, 2016

Meet Young Adult AND Adult Author Penny Estelle--(she didn't really 'barge in')!


ABOUT PENNY
Good morning everybody.  I’d like to thank Diana for allowing me to barge in on her blog today. I have a series I am working on called the Thornton Trilogy.  This is how it all started…. 
I write for all ages, from the early reader to adults.  My books range from pictures books for the little ones, to fantasy, time-travel adventures for ages 9 to 13. I also write adult stories, including a family drama and contemporary, paranormal and historical westerns romances, under P. A. Estelle.

I was a school secretary for 21 years.  My husband and I moved to our retirement home in Kingman, AZ, on very rural 54 acres, living on solar and wind only. 

IN THE BEGINNING…..well, about 40 years ago, was when I actually started reading! I never read as a kid – had waaaaay better things to do! The big awakening came after I had my first baby and was up 24/7.  Picked up my first…what did they call them…”smut” novels.  I was hooked.  Who knew reading could transport you out of your own reality to someplace other than dirty diapers and bottles!  After reading that FIRST book, I told my hubby – “I can do that!” and started writing the Great American Novel.  Took me 5 years on my electric Brotherstypewriter.  Almost 400 pages.  I was going to be so rich!  I wrote a few queries, sent them out and waited for all the offers to come in.

Reality hit as I ripped open the rejection letters.  I packed up my novel, put it in a box and it lived in my closet for over 40 years. 

Just before I retired from a school district, I wrote my very first tween fantasy and was thrilled when it was picked up.  After getting several other kid/YA stories accepted, I decided to try my hand at writing for the older crowd.  I was lucky enough to have a family drama and a few romances picked up by a few different publishing companies.

Then I figured the time had come.  With shaky fingers I pulled out the Great American Novel I had written so long ago.  It was HORRIBLE writing.  Ugh! I practically rewrote the whole thing and gave it another shot!  WOOO HOOO – Rooster and Pig Publishing picked it up!  Revenge, the Cowboy Way was published.  This is a historical western romance that tells the love/hate relationship between Joanna Simmons and Brian Thornton.

Now, I’m only telling you about my gut-wrenching, disappointing, rip your heart out story of rejection……(do any of you have your hankies out yet – LOL) because the story I’m spotlighting today is Gabe, The Thornton Trilogy, Book 1.  Yep, you guessed it.  Gabe is the #1 son of Joanna and Brian. 

After all this – I hope you enjoy my blurb and excerpt from my newest book!



Gabe Thornton inherits the Double Bar Ranch from good friend and neighbor Bill (Pappy) Thomas, but there are conditions.   Last Will and Testament states five hundred acres have been set aside for his only niece, or interested heirs.  The property must be lived on for a year or said acreage will revert back to Gabe.

Molly Blackburn shows up in Bastrop, Texas, to claim the land her great uncle has left her.  Though she knows nothing about cattle ranching, she has no other choice when her father passes away.

Gabe is sure she won’t last a month and he tells her so, but greenhorn or not, she swears she will be there till the bitter end, no matter what! 

Will she give up her land or will she find more than just a cattle ranch in Bastrop?


 Excerpt
I happen to also own a hand gun but..well I didn’t think to purchase bullets for it.”

“Perfect!” Gabe said, shaking his head.  “There’s also wood to be cut and hay and water to be hauled plus a million other things.”  He laid the gun against the wall, opening the door.  “You won’t last the week and if you had half a brain you’d know it!”

“Get out of my house,” she hollered.  He walked out into the cold morning but she was right on his heels, taking his coat off.  “Wait!”  He turned and she threw his coat in his face.  “Thank you for the use of your coat but I’ll thank you to stay off my property!”

Gabe advanced a step her way but a discreet cough stopped him.  There were his mother and sister, sitting on their horses.  He swung up on his horse, staring at his new neighbor.  “See if you can’t talk some sense into her!” he ground out before riding away.

* * * *

The book that started it all, Revenge, the Cowboy Way, is also available wherever ebooks are sold.  This one also comes in print.  (FYI – This story has a steamy side to it!)





For more information about me and my stories check out the following links:










1 comment:

Slideshow